Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Basic Comfort Via Butter, Sugar and Flour (even if you are Gluten-Free)


Last Sunday was traditional, a Father's Day Barbeque to be exact. Although my husband and brother-in-law handled the main meal, I was in charge of dessert and chose to make Peach Cobbler.

My recipe has been in my family basically forever, and since almost all of the generations before me were farmers, only fresh picked peaches will work!

The picture is my Grandpa Huth,  my younger brother Jason and me on the tail end. We are heading out to irrigate the cotton on the ranch in Visalia, California. We were visiting from Hawaii, where we lived at this time, probably around 1970.

 Since we don't have a farm here in San Jose for me to grow fruit, my husband braved the farmers market Sunday morning, bringing home the freshest, most perfect white peaches to fill the role. This recipe is simple and easy to adapt to meet specific dietary requirements. However it is dessert, so it is indulgent. If you do not have "room" in your daily caloric intake for desserts with added sugar, I recommend you have your peaches in their amazing natural state and savor the miracle of naked summer fruit.

Peach Cobbler Recipe- for a crowd!

 You will need:
  • Large glass baking dish (9 x 13)
  • 12 fresh peaches, peeled (any kind, I used white peaches in the picture)
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 c. flour (for gluten-free I recommend Almond Flour)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten (egg substitute can be used, 1/2 c.)
  • 1 cube of butter (or 1/2 cup of any butter substitute you prefer

 Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees 

Slice the peaches, about 1/2 - 1 inch thick, spread out in the baking dish

In a medium bowl, mix sugar and flour, then add beaten eggs
Use a pastry cutter or a plain old fork to mix it up till crumbly







Sprinkle over the peaches, distribute all of the crumbs "kinda" evenly

Melt the butter, then drizzle it over the crumbly topping



Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and turning golden brown on top
Allow the cobbler to cool down to a comfortable warmness, then eat!






This cobbler served all 14 of us at the BBQ, with no leftovers. However, 10 out of 14 BBQ participants ask if I had "any more of the peach cobbler" hidden somewhere? So next time, I will make two! 


Part of living with chronic pain is focusing on doing things that make you feel good, no matter how simple. For me, baking is one of those feel good things. For this recipe, I was able to do all of the steps myself. However, remember to apply the 3 P's; Prioritizing, Planning and Pacing. For example, my priority was to do the baking, so I delegated shopping for the peaches and my husband picked them up in the morning on his way home from the gym. I planned in advance, so I would have the other ingredients on hand and I wouldn't have to run to the store to get something. I paced myself and was able to peel all 12 peaches. Some days my hands are too sore (Fibromyalgia symptom) to do this type of prep work. If that is was the case I would have delegated it to my teenage sons, who will do anything to get to eat cobbler! I did pace myself, by allowing enough time in the morning to get going slowly, then once I started on the cobbler I could go at a leisurely pace since the BBQ was later in the afternoon. It also would have worked fine to make the cobbler the day before, however that is risky at my house with two teenage boys!






No comments:

Post a Comment